This is a design for an A5 diary cover. There is a pocket for a mobile phone, a slot for a pen, and all those essential bits of paper can be tucked behind it on the inside cover.
I used size 4mm straight needles and DK weight acrylic yarn. You will also need a stitch holder and a cable needle. Tension is not vital.
- Kfbk = Knit front and back of the same stitch
- C4B = slip next 2 sts onto cable needle and hold at the back of the work. K the next 2 sts from needle, then K the 2 sts from cable needle
- C2B = slip next st onto cable needle and hold at back of the work. K the next st from needle, then K the st from cable needle
- C4F = slip next 2 sts onto cable needle and hold at the front of the work. K the next 2 sts from needle, then K the 2 sts from cable needle
- C2F = slip next st onto cable needle and hold at the front of the work. K the next st from needle, then K the st from cable needle
First make your pocket:
- Cast on 12 stitches.
- Work 22 rows in stocking stitch (1 row K, 1 row P)
- Cut yarn and put these 12 sts on a stitch holder.
For the main cover:
- Cast on 24 stitches
- Work 66 rows in garter stitch (every row knit)
- Row 1 - K4 P16 K4
- Row 2 - K across
- Row 13 K4 P4 K8 P4 K4
- Row 14 K8 P8 K8
- Row 15 K4 P4 C4b C4f P4 K4
- Row 16 K8 P8 K8
- Rows 17 to 20 rep rows 13 and 14 twice
- Row 21 K4 P4 C4b C4f P4 K4
- Row 22K8 P8 K8
- Rows 23 to 24 rep rows 13 and 14 once
- Row 25 K4 P4 C4b C4f P4 K4
- Row 26 K8 P8 K8
- Row 27 K4 P4 C2b K4 C2f P4 K4
- Row 28 K across
- Row 29 - K4 P16 K4
- Row 30 - K across
- Row 31 K4 P2 slip next 12 sts onto stitch holder. Slip 12 sts for pocket onto left needle. P across these 12 sts. P2 K4
- Row 32 K across
- Row 33 K4 P16 K4
- Row 34 K across
- Repeat last 2 rows 3 more times
Make pen holder
- Row 41 K8 YO K6 YO K to end
Slip 12 sts from stitch holder onto needle
Work 4 rows garter stitch
Stitch the pocket to the main body from the inside (sides and bottom)
Stitch the garter stitch pocket top to the main body on the outside (edges only)
Oversew cast on and cast off edges of the body together inside out
Sew on beads or buttons or embroider eyes.
Slip onto A5 diary and off you go!